Friday, September 3, 2010

Nellie McKay - Voice Choices

"'I used to think about it/ When I say 'think' I mean satirize,' ironizes this uke-slinging, piano-swinging avenger of the oppressed in 'Bruise,' the biting yet beautiful opener of her forthcoming political-pop parfait, Home Sweet Mobile Home. It's a beautiful and angry album, if a tad arch at times, and a perfect followup to McKay's retro Doris Day tribute, Normal as Blueberry Pie. With Spencer Reed."
I almost always agree with the Voice's little capsule reviews--Christagau's, too--and so I'll have to pick this up. I can't believe I haven't already. Some albums, it seems, do slip through the cracks. Even "A tad arch at times" is most likely right, as it is true of her work more generally, or so at least I've always found. Though, in her defense, she wants to be arch.

No comments:

Post a Comment