Sunday, October 3, 2010

Is Tina Brown Going After 'Newsweek'?

"No one will comment, but one source says yes!


Now might be a good time to quote from Alessandra Stanley's profile of Ms. Brown after the collapse of Talk magazine in 2002. ''I am still Tina Brown,' she said. ''I have been swimming in a howling sea of schadenfreude for the past three years. I am used to it.''"
I didn't hear anything more about this, so I am guessing it wasn't true, after all. I have been falling down on news coverage recently, so perhaps I just missed the update. Either way, Newsweek is, in a moribund magazine business, practically a corpse. So who cares? Didn't they recently lose that Zakaria, probably the last big name left on its masthead, to Time? Also, I have a hard time seeing Tina Brown--intellectually chichi though she is--doing anything that with the magazine that is A) interesting or B) able to reverse its decline into irrelevance. Great quote, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment