Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mary-Louise Parker Has Never Smoked Weed


"Mary-Louise Parker gave a wonderfully raw interview to Vanity Fair, where she admitted she's basically too hip to smoke weed and prefers 'punitive' sex. Despite starring on a show that (sort of) revolves around the plant, Parker explained
I don’t do drugs, but I’m really suggestible. So I imagine if I did, I’d be smoking all day long. I’ve never smoked it. It was never an effective or interesting form of rebellion for me, because everybody did it. If I’d been popular in high school, I’m sure I would have wanted to do it. But I wasn’t ... I’m not saying pot is a bad thing. I know plenty of people who should be smoking pot. I’m just not one of those people.
After talking about drugs, she moved on to sex. Have you noticed that Parker's sex scenes in Weeds have become increasingly dark? Well, the actress likes it that way:
I think for [Nancy Botwin], sexuality is something that she wields. And she needs sex to be somewhat punitive. You know what I mean? I think a lot of people have so much guilt wrapped up in sex, they almost can’t tell the difference. There’s a scene we did for this season that gets pretty explicit. It was just supposed to be sex in a bar, but I really wanted it to be almost abusive. Because I think she needs it that way. And that’s really informative.
Mary-Louise Parker, without even doing drugs — still incredibly cool. 
Read more posts by  Mike Vilensky
WORD. Mary-Louise Parker is the biggest badass going. I am so excited to see her in Red. Everybody's been talking what a casting coup it was to get Helen Mirren--which is true--but securing Mary Louise Parker was no mean feat either. Informative or not, the sex scene in Weeds I could do without, however--and the darker tone more generally.

No comments:

Post a Comment