Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Supernatural Beauty | Cécile de France

"Belgian actress Cécile de France, 35, has this to say about being cast in Clint Eastwood’s film Hereafter, out this month from Warner Bros. “I thought, It’s not possible to have so much luck in my life! I was very happy and very surprised.” With an impressive résumé in French film, including two Césars (French Oscars) for L’Auberge Espagnole (2002) and Les Poupées Russes (2005), she was introduced to American audiences in 2004, appearing with Jackie Chan in Around the World in 80 Days. For his 31st film as a director, Eastwood, who turned 80 this year, has taken on the subject of the afterlife. The screenplay, by Peter Morgan (The Queen, Frost/Nixon), examines how three individuals deal with death and, ultimately, with one another. The cast includes Matt Damon, Derek Jacobi, and Bryce Dallas Howard. De France plays Marie, a French journalist who, while on vacation with her boyfriend, miraculously survives a tsunami."
Not much of a profile--there's only a little more beyond this--and I heard Hereafter wasn't much of a movie, but Cecile de France is interesting to me, if only for the fact that I saw both films mentioned and I don't remember her at all (too busy admiring Audrey Tautou, I guess). Also, the movie sounds more interesting than I expected on the strength of a cast that includes her and, of all people, Derek Jacobi, the redoubtable Shakespearean actor. I heard the movie went through a lot of rewrites--and in the final product, according to the critics, it shows--but I suspect it might be awful in an interesting way, which is better than just being awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment