Saturday, December 4, 2010

Will anyone in Colombia buy Ingrid Betancourt's new book?



Today's release of Ingrid Betancourt's book, 'Even Silence has an End,' about her six years in captivity in a guerrilla camp, was marked by calls to boycott her memoir."
After picking up (but not yet reading) Letters to My Mother--letters exchanged by Betancourt and her children, impressively prefaced by Elie Wiesel--a while back, I Wiki'ed her story, in order to gain some purchase on at least the broad strokes of her captivity and aftermath. I have no real opinion on the controversies this book has aroused, nor the woman more generally, but based on what I have heard, I find the story fascinating. Unsurprisingly, so did Colombia--especially since the account, according to one bookseller, “is exceptionally well written and by far the best of all the books by former hostages."

Aesthetic value wins the day again.

No comments:

Post a Comment