Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Patricia Clarkson talks about 4 recent films


"Q: I read an interview where you call yourself a 'hummingbird kind of person.' What does that mean?

A: I'm (long pause) wired, I'm high energy, I have a very high metabolism. But I was born this way. And I love nectar (laughs). And that's not a euphemism. Or maybe it is (laughs).

Q: You went to the Yale School of Drama, which must be a pretty intense and high-minded place.

A: (Laughs) Well, I wouldn't say high-minded, but I would say it's rigorous, and it changed me. It created an extraordinary atmosphere conducive to making great actors, people who are seeking art, and trying to lift it past just a craft. You are required to do everything, and they cast you against type, and you are playing four parts at one time.

I remember that moment at Yale when I looked down and I had four scripts. I shared this apartment with the great playwright Richard Greenberg. We had this cheesy coffee table, really taken out of the trash, and I had four scripts on it, and I was the bawd in 'Pericles,' and the young woman in 'La Ronde,' the young wife. And I was doing some new play written by a first- or second-year playwright, and I was doing something crazy, like an 8-year-old murderer, in the cabaret. And I thought, 'Please let this be my life. This is what I want.'"
Her enthusiasm--seen most clearly above--endears, and her work, in addition to being creditable, shows that, contrary to expectation, there's still an important place for women In Hollywood that are actually women, and, for that matter, adults. Here is a serious actress, but more, here is a serious person.

No comments:

Post a Comment