Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Music Review - Maurizio Pollini Honors Chopin Landmark at Carnegie



"The Chopin bicentennial has brought an expected rush of celebrations, but for some performers this music is seldom out of mind. The brilliant Italian pianist Maurizio Pollini has a repertory that extends from Bach to Stockhausen, but Chopin’s music has always been a special cause, certainly since Mr. Pollini won the Chopin International Piano Competition in Warsaw in 1960."
Oh, Pollini. What a pianist! That picture tells you everything you need to know about his artistry. I own a copy of his Chopin's Polonaises. He's another pianist I'd love to see before he retires. (I already lost Brendel, who packed it in a couple of years ago.) That gets me thinking: I was able to get bootlegs from Tully Hall at one point (and I think Carneige); maybe I can track this performance down.

No comments:

Post a Comment