Friday, July 30, 2010

Larger-than-life Vogue editor works the small screen


"He has only appeared on three episodes of America's Next Top Model and already Andre-Leon Talley has a signature word: dreckitude!

The diva-delicious put-down is just one of the reasons to watch the latest installment of Tyra Banks's model-search reality show, now in its 13th season and franchised around the world. Although Talley has a relatively minor role as one of the program's judges, the 60-year-old Vogue stalwart steals almost all of his scenes.

Recently, Globe Style spoke to him by phone from his home in White Plains, N.Y. Topics ranged from female empowerment to fashion bloggers. Only one question wasn't answered: Can he pull a Tyra and “smize” (smile with his eyes)?"

This man is a trip. I have seen him, I am sorry to say, on ANTM (which I liked more than I should have, though I was never more than an occasional watcher) but I found his one appearance on The Hills more memorable. During a photo-shoot for the Today show, he flustered Whitney, raving about how beautiful she was, how she should be a model, etc. Lisa Love looked bemused by the thought--though she tried to agree--and L.C. grinned from ear to ear. Oh, The Hills--how I miss thee! That reminds me: I have to check out the Slate piece on The Hills and Jersey Shore, though I expect--like most of the zine's pop-cultural pieces--it will be totally wrong. Also, admiring Tyra Banks a great deal, I suspect I know where the "smize" reference comes from: the Times magazine did a lengthy piece on her several months ago and Tyra, in a video section, gave a tutorial on several of the smiles at her disposal. I think the article was by their entertainment person, Lynn Hirschberg, but I could be wrong. Lynn Hirschberg, I should also add, recently trashed M.I.A., and by trashed, I merely mean stated the obvious. It was really delightful, especially as M.I.A. retaliated by tweeting her phone number, which just about confirmed everything Hirschberg said.

No comments:

Post a Comment